Dear Colleagues and Friends of Sport,
I trust this email finds you well.
Please find below the AIMS press release. Please feel free to share and publish this on your websites and social media.
Congratulations to all the 6 sports!!
IOC Gives Full Recognition to 6 Sports and International Federations.
History has been made at the 138th IOC session in Tokyo Japan
The IOC General Assembly approved the recommendation by the IOC executive board to give full recognition to six International Federations and Sports
The IFs concerned are:
- The International Cheerleading Union (ICU) – provisionally recognised in 2016
- The International Federation of Muaythai Associations (IFMA) – provisionally recognised in 2016
- The International Sambo Federation (FIAS) – provisionally recognised in 2018
- The International Federation Icestocksport (IFI) – provisionally recognised in 2018
- The World Association of Kickboxing Organisations (WAKO) – provisionally recognised in 2018
- World Lacrosse (WL) – provisionally recognised in 2018
Kit Mc Connell the IOC sport director made the presentation to the General Assembly for full recognition in accordance with the Olympic charter. All these IF’s and sports already had provisional recognition, demonstrating their conformity with the Olympic charter and fulfilling all the requested criteria. Full support has been given and no objections were made from any of the existing IOC member federations or any of the IF associations.
All of these IF’s and sports maintained their full independence and autonomy, meeting the criteria outlined in the recognition for summer and winter Olympic sports.
The vote was unanimous.
AIMS President Stephan Fox thanked the IOC President, Thomas Bach and the IOC General Assembly for recognising the work of each and every IF and sport. Stating, “With this recognition comes even greater responsibility.” He further thanked the IOC sports department for their support and cooperation
Congratulations to each and every international federation on this historical day.
Alliance of Independent Recognised Members of Sport